E-mail me at: Doug@artdougsmith.com
2c. Sourwood Art Fest, NC 2013
2b. Lake Lure Art Show, NC 2013
2a. Black MT Arts Show, NC 2013
1y. The Big Love Fest, NC 2013
1x. Montford Arts and Music Festival, NC 2013
1w. Montford Farmers Market, NC 2013
1v. North Asheville Tailgate Market, NC 2013
1u. North Asheville Holiday Bizzare, NC 2012-13
1t. Portico Market, NC 2012
1s. Unicoi Apple Festival,TN 2012-13
1r. Blue Plum Festival, TN 2012-13
1q. Belle Cher Festival, NC 2013
1p. Mt Mitchell Craft Fair, NC 2012
1o. Asheville Art in the Park, NC 2012-13
1n. Greening Up The Mnts., Sylva, NC 2012-13
1m. Asheville City Market, NC 2012-13
1l. West Asheville Tailgate Market, NC 2012
1k. Junior League of Asheville Market, NC 2012
1j. Hemp Fest, Gainesville FL 2011
1I. Farm To Family Music Fest, High Springs, FL 2011
1H. Pride Parade at Bo Diddly Plaza, Gainesville, FL 2011
1G. Union Street Farmers Market, Gainesville, FL 2011
1F. Labordaze Fest , Gainesville, FL 2011
1E. Marco Island Market, Marco Isl, FL 2011
1D. Promenade Market, Bonita, FL 2011
1C. Pine Ridge Market, Naples, FL 2011
1B. AZN Rest. Artist Show, Naples, FL 2010
1A. Flamingo Isl.Market,Bonita Springs, FL 2010
1. Pike Place Market, Seattle, WA 2007- 09
2. Ballard Street Sunday Market, Seattle, WA 2007
3. Freemont Sunday Market, Seattle, WA 2007
4. Pioneer Square Saturday Market, Seattle, WA 2008
5. Port Orchard Saturday Market, Port Orchard, WA 2008
6. Gig Harbor Saturday Market, Gig Harbor, WA 2008
7. Bumbershoot Music Festival, Seattle,WA 2008
8. Last Thursday Art Event, Sacramento, CA 2007
9. Berkley Weekend Market, San Francisco, CA 2007
10. San Francisco Craft Fair, San Francisco, CA 2007
11. Nations Plaza Market, San Francisco, CA 2007
12. Lodi Street Fair, Lodi, CA 2007
13. Salt Lake City Saturday Market, Salt Lake, UT 2007
14. Park Silly Market, Park City, UT 2007
15. Boise Capitol City Market, Boise, ID 2007
16. Nampa Farmers Market, Nampa, ID 2007
17. Boise Last Thursdays, Boise, ID 2007
18. Art In The Park, Boise, ID 2007
19. Mountain Home Craft Fair, Mnt. Hm, ID 2007
20. Salem Art Festival, Salem, OR 2006
21. Oregon Country Fair, Eugene, OR 2004-06
22. Eugene Saturday Market, Eugene, OR 2005
23. Portland Saturday Market, Portland, OR 2004-07
24. Portland Farmers Market, Portland, OR 2006
25. Festival of The Last Minute, Portland, OR 2005
26. St. John Annual Art Fair, Portland, OR 2006
27. Pioneer Square Christmas Show, Portland, OR 2005-06
28. Rose Parade, Portland, OR 2005
29. Crystal Ballroom Art Event, Portland, OR 2004-07
30. Doug Fir Lounge, Portland, OR 2007
31. First Thursday, Portland, OR 2004-07
32. Last Thursday, Portland, OR 2004-07
33. Division Art Fair, Portland, OR 2004-07
34. Belmount Art Fair, Portland, OR 2004-07
35. Hawthorne Street Fair, Portland, OR 2004-07
36. St. John Summer Art Fair, Portland, OR 2004-07
37. Art In The Pearl, Portland OR 2005
38. Mirador Gallery and Store, Portland OR 2004-07
39. Flur de leys Gallery and Salon, Portland OR 2004-05
40. Pearl Book Store, Portland OR 2004-07
41. Mary Lou Zeek Gallery, Salem OR 2005-06
42. Main Street Gallery and Salon, Portland OR 2007
43. Ybor City Saturday Market, Tampa, FL 2002-04
44. St. Pete’s Thursday On The Pier, St. Pete, FL 2002-04
45. USF Gallery Shows, Tampa, FL 2002-04
46. New Identities Gallery and Salon, Tampa, FL 2000-04
Doug and Wife Tiffany, Naples 2011
My Truck and Toy Hauler My parents in Idaho
McCall Idaho 2008
I really like to make lanoleum cut prints on old newspapers. This ones is framed and packaged in a carboard box. "Chkns on the brain."
"Stop talking about it and do something about it."
1."He that has generous eyes shall be blessed"
2. "If you withhold judgment on a person, than judgment can never befall you."
3. "Everything in life should be kept in balance, but if love knocks you off balance....than it is ok."
4. "Don't speak too freely about your success because in doing so you make yourself a target for others."
5. "In victory be humble, in defeat be strong, in all else, be fair. "
6. "You are on this Earth for one reason only: You asked to be here. Why? So you could experience what it means to be a creator. Instead of having endless paradise handed to you freely by your Creator, you wanted the chance to have a hand in actually creating that endless paradise."
7. "There is no such thing as an Almighty God who punishes people."
8. "Light always disrupts and converts darkness. But darkness is powerless in the presence of light."
9. "If you wish to die well, we must learn how to live well."
10. "Death is a mirror on which the entire meaning of life is reflected."
11. "All obstacles, both large and small, are really opportunities to find the light."
12. "There are the Creators of life and the Destroyers of life. If you are a Creator, the Destroyer will weaken you so you need to stay away."
13. "Envious eyes and jealous looks have a tangible effect on your life and well-being."
Douglas Michael Smith
I was born in Toledo Ohio at Little Flower Hospital on 3/26/1975. In 1982 my family moved down to Naples Florida where I lived until 1995. I then moved to Tampa Florida and started my B.A. in Communications. In 1997 I moved to Portland Oregon where I really feel I started to begin a path to somewhere in art. In 1999 I moved back to Florida and lived in Boca Raton and messed around. In 2000 I moved back to Tampa to get my Masters In Fine Arts in Studio Art. I moved back out to Portland Oregon in 2004 and started to learn the business side of Art and making a living off of it. In 2007 I left Portland in a 40 foot Toy Hauler 5th wheel trailer and traveled around the West selling some Art at a few shows. Then I settled in Seattle and opened a table at the Pike Place Market. In 2009 I moved back to my home town of Naples where I started a new with a little of the old. In June of 2011, I moved to Micanopy, Fl with my wife Tiffany and lived on a horse farm with our horse Rori, two dogs and 4 birds. In December 2011 we moved to Asheville NC and showed at local tailgate markets and events around the area. In December 2013 we moved back to Marco Island, Fl and started a Organic Food business as well as maintained Tiffany's and my Art business.
The paints I use are Acrylic
Winsor and Newton
Chr. Oxide Green
Red Iron Oxide
Cad. Red Med.
I use Olympic Interior Latex Flat White as my primer.
I love Sharpie Black Markers.
Helpful tips for starting a business selling your Art at Farmers Markets and Events in your area:
1. Get a website started. It doesn't have to be perfect at first. Just get one going and let it build as your business grows. I like what Yahoo has to offer.
2. Get the proper liscenses to sell where you want to participate.
3. If you have a tent, get proper weights to hold the tent down in the event of a strong wind. They usualy are required.
4. Make sure your tent is fire proof. Most shows and markets I go to have 10x10 spaces. Once in a blue moon I see 8x8 but I think it's safe to say a good 10x10 tent is important. I use EZ-UP but Caravan is good. Sometimes you can get a descent, biginners tent at WalMart or Home Depot.
5. Have proper change. We try to keep things in bills only so we don't have to carry coin. We have around $75 on us for change in mostly $1,$5,$10's.
6. Credit Crads is a must. Figure out a way to take all of them. If you have a smart phone, get a Square device. They are a great service. Their web site is www.squareup.com.
7. Make friends with neighbors for a bathroom break.
8. Try to make your set up easy to set up and break down. Nothing too heavy that you can't carry a short distance if need be. You never know where your booth space is sometimes and you may have to walk a little ways.
9. Be extremely nice to the people who are running the show. A good relationship with them can make all the difference.
10 . Business cards. I almost forgot. I use Vistaprint.com. You can get anything you want for your business from them.On the card, I would put your website, a short few words of what you do and if it is special and why. An e-mail contact and a phone number. I leave the back blank.
11. For tent and business supplies, I use Store Supply Warehouse or Storesupply.com
12. For my art supplies, I use Dickblick.com